Thursday, June 17, 2010

Looking back -- Friday, June 11, 2010

Friday, 11 June 2010


Sherry, David and Mary Beth joined Shepherd for devotions at the Namwianga Health Clinic, and then walked to 7 Fountains Farm to spend the day. I had walked to the farm earlier in order to meet up with Wilson Siazilo. Ba Wilson is the headmaster at Good Hope Christian Basic School, and this school hosted last year's literacy workshop. I had no previous opportunity to check in with the teachers to see how things were going, so I used Friday morning to visit classrooms. I was not disappointed; these teachers boasted that Animated Literacy had made a difference in their students' English and even in their spelling. I found these things to be true. In addition to observing instruction, I was especially blessed to be able to greet the teachers with whom I had bonded last year. There was an added blessing, also, when I was introduced to Ella, a student teacher, and I learned that she is sponsored by Colby and Denae. How amazing the Kingdom of God is! 

Ba Wilson chauffered me around so I could pick up some paintings from Christiane and Kathrine Muller. We took the extra time required to visit the grandparents who are now eighty-six or eighty-seven. Mr. and Mrs. Muller founded Good Hope Christian Basic School after they turned 70. What great things God can do when we are open to His plan and His timing!

When Ba Wilson returned me to 7 Fountains, I found Mary Beth and Sherry sewing curtains and David reparing playground equipment. I made sure to love on some babies and play with the toddlers before it was time for us to go. Sue Calder served tea, which included a South African milk tart and date squares. The milk tart tasted so good that Sherry got the recipe, so she could make it for potluck.







Doesn't baby Treenia look healthy?  I'm not sure what she thinks of me, though.


We returned to the guesthouse in time for showers and organizational packing before the power went out just before supper. Have I mentioned that we have enjoyed six or seven candlelight dinners?

Interestingly enough, the power returned just in time for the younger set to watch the opening game of the World Cup on Richard's TV. David experienced a severe amount of frustration at the fact that SA and Mexico tied, and each was awarded a point. This method of scoring is nothing like the March Madness to which he is accustomed. Because he is such an avid sports fan, I am confident he will adjust.

No comments:

Post a Comment