We divided our efforts on Wednesday, and spent time focused on two areas, church construction and education. David and Mary Beth treated boards with creosote so the men could build rafters for the church building. Sherry and I continued to work with teachers. I asked everyone to tell me a story they wanted me to share, so I will try to retell those and illustrate with pictures.
David thoroughly enjoyed the labor of the day. He managed to ruin his border-war t-shirt by wiping his stained hands on the bottom of the shirt, but he said he didn't mind, because KU lost that game anyway. David spent all morning applying creosote to the boards that would become rafters for the church building. He said that he really enjoyed that time visiting with Oscar, because Oscar is fun to talk to and he makes everyone laugh. Incidentally, Oscar wore dress clothes and managed to remain spotless. The temperature was cool, so David didn't get too hot. It was a perfect day for him.
Mary Beth's story for the day is really the story of a 7th grade girl, Emelda who maybe 13 or 14 years old. She will probably never pass grade 7 because the exams are in English, and although she is bright, she has not had much education, so she is very far behind. When we arrived on Wednesday morning, Ruhtt noticed that Emelda had applied powder to her face, and Ruhtt sent her to wash. Ruhtt explained to us that girls did this when they were looking for a husband. Emelda attached herself to Mary Beth on Monday, and Mary Beth had many opportunities to observe Emelda interact with others. Emelda is a natural leader; unfortunately she is leading in the wrong direction. Emelda requested Mary Beth's address, and MB also wrote a note, encouraging Emelda to use her leadership qualities to lead people to Jesus. I love the way God puts just the right people together at just the right time. Mary Beth was the perfect person to encourage Emelda, and plant the seed of Jesus in her heart. Now we will pray for someone else to water that seed, and for God to give the increase.
Thank you for your comments, especially, Devona, our most faithful responder. We'd love to hear from more of you either by email. We are so thankful to be the ambassadors from the generous people of Southside and beyond, to these grateful people of Zambia. God is doing great things here, and we are so thankful to be a part of His work.
God bless you guys! I loved the story. And I laughed at the water comment. Sherry, God placed you there today for a very special reason. Thank you for making a huge impact on the teachers. I am sure it will come back 100 fold as they share with their students.
ReplyDeleteGod bless you guys in your work today. May the God of grace and peace fill you with joy as you labor for his Kingdom.
~Daniel
Kameron is happy to hear ya'll are having a good time there sharing Gods' message. That you are learning and teaching others about God. Paiden is glad to hear ya'll are doing a good job at the school and building the church. I liked it when Ms. Mary Beth had David choose an apple. Laila hopes ya'll do cool stuff working with the kids and have fun building the church. Belinda wants all of you to know that the work you are doing for God is going to be such a blessing to those that are receiving the messages as well as those that are teaching and giving. God Bless and keep you as you spread His word. Belinda, Paiden, Kameron and Laila
ReplyDeleteGod bless you all! I have enjoyed reading what you have done for God and what God has done for you. God Bless each of you as you spread his word and in the work that you are doing. God puts us in places and situations for a reason. I know you all are impacting lives for God. Looking forward to seeing all those pictures and hearing about the mission trip David. Will continue to keep you all in our prayers.
ReplyDeleteWhat marvelous stories! I so look forward to reading about your day. God is good...all the time! All the time, God is good! Praying for continued strength and joy as you all serve Him..the One who matters most! Love and blessings to you~Devona
ReplyDeleteGreat job with the blog, Martha. I know you are busy with your work in Zambia so I really appreciate the time you take to update us on a regular basis. I especially enjoy seeing Africa through everyone's eyes. May God continue to bless your efforts and keep you safe!-Kathy
ReplyDeleteI'm coming late to the blog, but devoured every word tonight. Such an emotional journey to be able to take with you - thanks so much, Marti! My kids learned the word 'continent' today when we looked at a map of Africa, and it was both surreal and very REAL to feel this connection to the little purple spot that was Zambia. Every day we pray together for you guys. What a blessing your work is - the work of holy hands lifted in service to the King! Love you - Kris
ReplyDelete