Friday, May 28, 2010

Livingstone

The plane landed 5 minutes ahead of schedule at 12:40 on May 27, 2010.  We took the appropriate photographs, and made our way inside to buy the visas we needed.  We could see the baggage circling the baggage claim, and the salmon colored ties -- thanks Mom -- made our bags easy to spot.  11 of the 12 bags arrived, so we had to claim lost luggage.  We loaded the 11 bags on the cart, and Letiwe was there to greet us as we exited baggage claim.  It was a sweet reunion for me.  While I went to file the report for lost luggage, Letiewe, David, Sherry and Mary Beth piled all the bags in Letiwe's van.  Fortunately there was still room for me.  We changed dollars to kwacha at the Bureau of Exchange, stopped at Shoppe Rite to buy water, and then landed at Maramba River Lodge shortly after 3:30.  Letiwe made sure we were all settled before she left, and we made sure what time she would pick us up on June 14 for our end of mission holiday. 

Exploring, visiting, evening meal and staying awake occuppied us until we could turn in for the night.  We were serenaded by tree frogs all through supper; we agreed that they sound like wooden windchimes.  David said that he had shooed one of the little creatures out of his chalet earlier. He reported that it was quite colorful.

Mary Beth, Sherry and I had an unwelcomed companion in the shower as we each took our turn.  A large, "hairy" spider didn't seem to mind the water.  I was glad she stayed put, (we decided to name her "Sally"), but we all would have preferred that she find her own shower.

We awakened this morning to the sound of hippos barking, and they entertained us during our "English" breakfast of cheese, meat, fruit, granola, yogurt and tea.

Twalumba (thank you) for the prayers.  God is answering each and every one.  We'd love to hear from you, so send us an email or post a comment.  ---- Martha

4 comments:

  1. So glad you had a safe trip. May God bless your work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, glad you've arrived safe and sound. God is blessing your time in Zambia, and you'll realize it more and more as the days go by. Greetings to Ruhtt, Shepherd and all our other friends there.
    Love, Bill & Wendy

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am thankful you had a safe trip. I pray for each of you that God will bless your work there and bring all of you home safely at the end of your mission. Love to all in Christ. Love you Sherry, Mom

    Rere, Please be safe and I miss you. Hope you have a safe trip back. I saw a new chimpanzee that was 5 years old at the zoo. We saw a deer jump over the fence in the back yard and run across the street this morning. Love you Paiden

    Rere, I thank the Lord for your safe trip. I wanted to tell you today we went to the zoo and saw a lot of cool animals. There were some out that were not out last time. I think it is pretty cool you could watch the hippos when you ate. Love Kameron

    ReplyDelete
  4. David,
    Glad that you made it there okay. God Bless you all in your mission there. David, I bet you have never been waken at the sound of Hippos barking! :-) Seeing hippos while you ate must be cool! Sorry about not posting before now but forgot about this site.

    ReplyDelete